Ezogelin soup or Ezo gelin soup (Turkish: Ezogelin çorbası, “the soup of Ezo the bride”) is one of the most famous Turkish specialties, especially when it comes to soups.
The name means “soup of the bride Ezo” in Turkish, and the legend says that the soup was invented by a beautiful girl who lived somewhere in Anatolia at the beginning of the 20th century. She was so beautiful that they called her Ezo, which in free translation would be beautiful.
When she later married, they added this gelin, that is, the bride. The soup she made became famous under that name because it was similar to her in some way: it was made of simple ingredients and so pleasant, just as Ezo herself was simple and modest, and her beauty warmed everyone’s soul.
This soup is very filling, yet light on the stomach. The ingredients are red lentils, rice, bulgur, olive oil, butter, onion, garlic, tomato, tomato paste, paprika, hot pepper, dried mint, black pepper, and salt. Rice and bulgur remain whole in the soup, giving it a unique texture…
- 1 cup red lens,
- 1/3 cup rice,
- 1/3 cup bulgur,
- 1 medium onion,
- 2 tablespoons flour,
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree,
- 1 tablespoon dried mint,
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried paprika,
- 4 tablespoons oil,
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine,
- Salt and pepper to taste,
- Lemon juice to taste.
- Put the washed lentils, rice and bulgur in a larger pot.
- Pour over 8 cups of cold water, then heat to boiling over the highest heat.
- When it boils, reduce the heat to low and cook in a half-covered pot for about 30 minutes, until everything is very soft and the grains fall apart.
- In a pan, heat the oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped onion and fry, stirring often, until the onion is completely soft.
- Add flour and fry for another minute while stirring, then add tomato puree and stir. You will get a very tasty mixture.
- Pour 2 cups of lukewarm water and mix well to get a uniform mixture.
- Slowly add the resulting mixture to the pot, stirring constantly.
- Add mint, chopped dried peppers and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- After 5-6 minutes, remove from the heat.