Zabaione or zabaglione is an Italian dessert, or sometimes a beverage, made with egg yolks, sugar, and a sweet wine (usually Moscato d’Asti or Marsala wine). Some versions of the recipe incorporate spirits such as cognac. The dessert version is a light custard, whipped to incorporate a large amount of air.
There are several theories about its origin. According to some theories, Zabaione originated long ago in Sicily, while others claim that a 16th-century monk San Pasquale in Turin “transcribed” an intoxicating cream as a recipe against fatigue, when women would sue reluctant husbands. Another possible father the recipe could be GiovanniBaglioni, known as Zvan Bajòun who allegedly came up with zabaione quite by accident when during the war he prepared a dish for the soldiers from the only ingredients available. In his case, it was not a cream but a soup that invigorated the troops.
In France, it is called sabayon. The dessert is popular in Argentina and Uruguay, where it is known as sambayón, and is a popular ice cream flavour. In Colombia, the name is sabajón. In Venezuela there is also a related egg-based dessert drink called ponche crema.
– Zabaione recipe –
5 egg yolks
2-3 tablespoons of sugar
1.5 dcl wine, optional: Marsala, Muscat or Porto
1 teaspoon cinnamon
fruit, cake, lemon peel if desired
- First of all fill the pot halfway with water and cook it. Prepare a metal dish that will fit on your pot as the zabaglione will be steamed.
- It is best to prepare zabaglione in a metal container because it is a good thermal guide.
- Stir in the egg yolks, sugar and cinnamon and mix well.
- Now place the dish on the pot and add to the Marsala slowly.
- Stir in the steam until the mass becomes thick, creamy.
- This can take up to 15 minutes. Watch out for lumps!
- When you get a creamy liquid, pour it into suitable bowls and, if desired, grate the lemon peel and serve with fruit (preferably strawberries or raspberries) or with dry cakes and ice cream.
- If you want to serve the cream in a cold bowl with zabaione, place it in a larger bowl filled with ice and cold water and stir until cool.
Zabaione can be drunk on a straw like a refreshing shake, served in a glass with your favorite fruit, chocolate crumbs and ground pistachios or used as a filling for pancakes … In summer it refreshes, and in winter, served warm, zabaione or zabaglione warms like a hug .