The whole world love focaccia, flat bread originating from the northern parts of the Mediterranean, and it is assumed that the first focaccia was baked during the Etruscans and the ancient Greeks.
Focaccia is a flat bread topped with olive oil and spices, and you can put tomatoes, figs and olives on it. . it is actually the earliest form of modern pizza. It was first baked on a stone by a hot fire or on a heated surface under which there was a flame of fire.
Focaccia has characteristic incisions on the bread that are made with the help of a knife, finger or toothpick.
To preserve the freshness of the bread, the olive oil is smeared on the dough with a brush or by hand before baking.
- 600 g of flour
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- olive oil
- 4 dl of lukewarm water
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 purple onion
- 6 – 8 fresh figs
- 150 g of gorgonzola
- Olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper.
- Mix the dry dough ingredients in a bowl.
- Add water while stirring until a dough is obtained.
- Move it to a floured surface and knead with your hands for about five minutes until it becomes compact.
- Form a ball, place it in an oiled pan, cover with a kitchen towel and let the dough rise in the heat until it doubles in size, about an hour.
- Then roll out the dough with your fingers and place it on a baking sheet covered with greaseproof paper.
- Leave the dough to rise for another 20 minutes and reshape it with your fingers to the desired size.
- Drizzle it with olive oil, add sliced stuffing ingredients, salt and pepper and bake at 220°C for twenty minutes.