The Pad Thai of Thai literally means “Thai fried dish”. It is one of the most famous Thai dishes.
This dish is an irresistible mixture of noodles fried with chicken or fresh seafood, egg, tofu, soy sprouts and very interesting spices.
In Thailand you can hardly find a dish that does not use some of their traditional spices, such as fish sauce, Thai and sweet basil, coriander, coconut milk…
But the real key to Thai cuisine is precisely the fish sauce, which gives saltiness and spiciness to many dishes. Thais use almost no salt at all, but just fish sauce or soy sauce to season dishes. All Thai dishes maintain a balance between the four flavors – sweet, sour, salty and spicy. So don’t be surprised when you come up with a recipe for Pad Thai and see sugar on the list of ingredients !
To prepare Pad Thai it is necessary to use some of the most famous Thai ingredients. But everything can be purchased in better stocked stores.
Ingredients for 4 people:
3 tablespoons oil
5-6 cloves of garlic
100 g tofu (solid)
3 young onions
1 large carrot
200 g fresh soybean sprouts
300 g chicken breast
250 g of thinner rice noodles
100 g chopped peanuts
3 teaspoons sugar
6 teaspoons fish sauce
9 teaspoons oyster sauce
2-3 tablespoons tamarind
1.5 teaspoons of palm sugar
1. Prepare and chop all the ingredients in advance: Tofu into larger cubes, finely chop the garlic, onion and carrot into thin noodles, chicken into strips.
2. And soak the rice noodles in warm water or according to the instructions on the package.
They usually have to stand for 10 to 30 minutes in hot water, and then they should be boiled for a few minutes.
3. Mix all the spices in a bowl (sugar, palm sugar, fish sauce, oyster sauce and tamarind).
Mash the tamarind a little with a fork.
4. Heat the wok over high heat, then add the oil and immediately afterwards the chopped garlic. Fry it stirring for about 10 seconds.
5. Add the chopped chicken and fry while stirring until it gets a golden brown color. The chicken should not let go of water, so it is important that the fire is strong.
6. Add the tofu cubes and fry for a minute. Then move the chicken and tofu to one side of the pan, reduce the heat a little and pour the beaten eggs over the empty dep wok, and fry them while stirring.
7. When the eggs have turned into scrambled eggs, mix them with the chicken and tofu.
8. Pour in the spice mixture and mix everything well. Also add all the chopped vegetables – carrots, onions and sprouts.
9. Stir everything, fry and finally add the cooked and drained rice noodles. Stir and serve immediately.
Serve with chopped peanuts, lettuce leaf and a slice of lime.